Friday, October 14, 2011

The Unpolished Version...

Okay friends,

I realize that not all of you will relate to this but I'd like to think that there are others of you who have fallen guilty to the "Polished Bible Belt Mom" Syndrome.  You know what I am talking about ladies...believing the lie that all other mothers besides yourselves run frolicking through a field of daisies singing at the top of their lungs. They never get upset with their perfectly well-behaved children and the organic vegetable garden they have is flourishing just outside their perfectly clean home...

My new saying is that one tends to become an expert in something once they have failed miserably at it.  This is true for me and the idol of image.  I have fallen prey and been sucked into the lie that in order to be a great mother and wife, I need to have it all together and look like I have it all together. You see the above polished photo? All matching? All looking incredibly happy? That was ONE SECOND in the life of the Delk's. And, I might add...we still couldn't get everyone looking. :)

What I have ruined in all of this, is any attempt for the need for Jesus, his grace and the ability to be real with others. 

So, this is not meant to be self-deprecating, I realize that I do many things that are very intentional for my family...and I seek goodness, but it IS an attempt to be real with you, to hopefully make you laugh out loud and to remind us that God wants us to be free from those lies. 

  • If you come to my house, one of my sons may grab your breasts or tell you he likes them.
  • I lose my temper at least once a day. (My daughter just came over and told me it was more than once. Humph!)
  • I have a sailors mouth when I am really angry.
  • My kids aren't bathed every day, not even every other day.
  • My kids brush their teeth when they are bathed.
  • Some days, I do have favorites, and it's the child who isn't talking yet.
  • I have to apologize to my children for my sins...regularly.
  • All of the plants I bought two weeks ago for fall have already died.
  • I can be way too proud with my husband.
  • If my children are left alone for more than 15 minutes, there's a good chance there will be 5-10 minutes of clean-up required.
  • We home school, but we don't have our own garden, make our own bread or eat all organic and I've never worn a jumper.
  • My children argue...often.
  • There is a point when my "Demon...uh..Mom" voice comes out and all the kids take notice.
  • I could now entertain children working at Pizza Hut...making balloon animals out of my breasts.
  • If you drop by, you will find a massive mountain of laundry, just as you walk in, on my dining room table...if you call first, I MIGHT throw it in a closet but more than likely, you still find it there.
  • I LIKE to keep my house organized and straightened, but don't lick my floors. I haven't mopped since 1996...and don't open any closets. You could get injured.
  • Ok, so maybe that's not altogether true...twice a month I have a cleaning service come. Yep, I'm THAT girl. See? It takes a team to keep this image up.
  • I often feel like I am failing at this whole motherhood thing.
  • I don't like art projects.
  • I think Playdoh and sandboxes are from the devil.
  • I have a large roll on my stomach we have named "Biscuit". You can contort her into all sorts of shapes and pretend she's making funny faces. It's pretty cool really, except for when my son asked me last week if I had a baby in my tummy...
  • I have cellulite, a gnarly c-section scar and my breasts...see Pizza Hut statement.
  • I let my hair air dry the other day and my husband told me I looked like Axl Rose on a bad day.
  • I order pizza and cupcakes for my kids' birthday parties...and I've never rented them a clown.
  • I don't make goodie bags for the children who come to my kids' birthdays.
  • Sometimes I leave my children to play by themselves while I write a silly blog.
So ladies, what's your unpolished version?  Let's share in reality with one another shall we? Let's enjoy the peace and freedom God wants for us to live.  You are perfectly designed to be the mother God wanted for each of your children.  Let's enjoy the domain God has entrusted to us...let's laugh at ourselves, be free to believe TRUTH and giggle more.

With love,
Annette

9 comments:

Williams5 said...

I love it! So I have to say... I found myself giggling out lout from time to time (ok, most of the time)! But just because I can so relate! I think I can relate to most of what you are saying! :) You are a wonderful Momma! And through all of it (even the "Demon...uh..Mom" voice) your kiddos will remember and love you for the wonderful Momma that you are! Sometimes I look at my kiddos and think to myself, well, they are becoming wonderful little people so through it all I must be doing something right! Hugs to you and yours, and I look forward to following your blog! Rach

Anonymous said...

love this Annette! I'm right there with you...although I have the advantage of not living in the south! tee hee...keep 'em coming!

the_blissful_mommy said...

* I regularly call my children the wrong name 2 or 3 times before getting it right.
* my kids ARE allowed to jump on beds and couches.
*there are, like half a dozen really good books I ordered from Amazon about 4 months ago still sitting unopened next to My Reading Spot but I did check people.com today
*I pre-set coffee twice daily.
*tomorrow morning's soccer uniforms are in the washing machine currently and I am sitting here typing a blog comment.

I love you, Netty! Love this blog! Love the vibe! Most of all, love my Nette, who knows and LIVES Galatians 5:1.
Xoxo
E

Tyanne said...

Awesome job Annette. I laughed, a LOT!!!

mellon said...

*grin*
My kids, all of them (yes, that includes the one year old), are currently watching 'The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe' while I sip my second cup of coffee and read your blog.

Tisha calhoun said...

LOVE the post! The "polished" picture is adorable, and the "unpolished" confessions hilarious! I can TOTALLY relate and agree... we really need to be REAL more often as moms and not stress each other out by comparing our "unpolished" selves with our perceptions of others "polished" versions...thanks for the blog!

Lucy and Lloyd said...

I'm sorry, did I not already tell you how happy I am that you have started to blog! Now the whole world can see how hilarious and awesome you are! Love you....

jamie adam said...

You are hilarious. I can completely relate with my 2 kiddos. Amazed you are taking a min to blog. What a blessing to read your posts!

annetteandherdautherfillingin... said...

Thank you so much friends. Your encouragement is just what I needed. xoxo